“We’re open source… open source… compatible.”
This example is a case of hijacking open source, as was mentioned earlier. Watch this headline:
Microsoft has released an early draft of the specifications for XAML and WPF under the Microsoft Open Specification Promise. This offers patent protection for implementers against claims by Microsoft, allowing open source projects to use the specifications.
A few points ought to be made:
- XAML is the 'poison' that strives to close the Web, making it proprietary
- Antitrust investigators and the States (two continents) study this as a possible abuse
- Here you have “Open-Source” (open minus source). It’s not the same thing as Free software.
- The OSP, as we have seen before, is a case against the GPL [1, 2, 3]
- Even Miguel's recent comments on XAML/Silverlight revealed unsuppressed disappointment
- Microsoft has no plans of delivering Silverlight for GNU/Linux
Another bothersome press release mixes the proprietary Flash framework with “open source code”. Even with Adobe aboard the Linux Foundation as a sponsor it remains unclear how ‘open’ Flash will ever be.
The founders of Influxis and Red5Server announced today the PaperWorld3D source code is now open to the public. PaperWorld, which leverages open source projects PaperVision3D and Red5, allows for rapid creation of MMOG 3D environments deployable over the Adobe Flash Player 9.
There is some more encouraging news however. As the following short article reminds us, open source needs truly open standards.
“It clear that the open source movement has gone far beyond the web page development stage, which is set to revolutionise communication,” he said.
De Wet also said that open protocols were needed for the industry to fully exploit open source software as a service.
Have a look again at this recent article which talks about the relationship between open standards and open source software. Adobe and Microsoft continue their pursuit trying to control the Web with proprietary technologies. The “open source” fluff they throw at the top is nothing but a decoy, an illusion. █