11.19.08

AstroTurfers Pretend to be GNU/Linux Users?

Posted in Site News at 11:46 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

“Mind Control: To control mental output you have to control mental input. Take control of the channels by which developers receive information, then they can only think about the things you tell them. Thus, you control mindshare!”

Microsoft, internal document [PDF]

Appended below is the IRC log from just minutes ago. As regular readers are probably aware, our reader “twitter” has abusive stalkers (‘witch hunters’) in this Web site. They followed his footsteps all the way from Slashdot just to discredit him personally wherever he goes, whatever he does. Speaking from experience, “twitter” is intimately aware of Microsoft’s dirty secrets and he talks about it in public.

The log below (particularly the end) is self explanatory, but the summary is that people who go under names like “Gentoo user” are actually Windows users and they are busily attacking critics of Microsoft. The name is probably supposed to lend them credibility (Gentoo is, after all, a hardcore distribution) and also encourage people to explore distributions that will lead to negative judgment of GNU/Linux.

trmanco http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2008/11/19/no… Nov 19 15:32
schestowitz Yay! Google can shove clocks and weather in my eyes. :-) Well, at least they open-sourced it. Nov 19 15:32
trmanco :-P Nov 19 15:32
twitter Ick, China to buy GM.  They could make it even more corrupt than it is already. Nov 19 15:33
schestowitz Apache still eats Microsoft’s lunch. Nov 19 15:34
schestowitz 1.8 compared to 1.1 Nov 19 15:34
schestowitz Remember that Google’s is an Apache fork. Nov 19 15:34
twitter That lead is going to get bigger, despite the FUD M$ spews. Nov 19 15:35
twitter WAMP is insane. Nov 19 15:35
schestowitz That’s what MS is hoping. It would be interesting to see how Apache/Linux does against Apache/Windows Nov 19 15:36
schestowitz They keynoted ApacheCon recently. RMS is against it and there’s plan to discourage people from attending such events. Nov 19 15:37
schestowitz How can one give Microsoft such a spot when it’s actively threatening to sue? Nov 19 15:37
schestowitz Re: OSCON, PJ said the same. Nov 19 15:37
schestowitz Microsoft wants the world to believe that there are two Microsofts: good cop and bad cop. Nov 19 15:38
twitter M$ does this on purpose.  It destroys the ability of their “competitors” to communicate. Nov 19 15:38
twitter They stack the con panel and shove M$ into it.  This destroys the conference.  What’s left is M$ only. Nov 19 15:38
twitter Did you see this lovely example of what the M$ world enables?  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/19/d… Nov 19 15:39
schestowitz twitter: yes, Tim O’Reilly had to apologise for saying something negative about the convicted monopolist Nov 19 15:39
schestowitz [cause they sponsored his  event] Nov 19 15:39
schestowitz They gag critics this way. I saw it with Krill. Nov 19 15:39
twitter More reason to avoid M$ money. Nov 19 15:39
schestowitz As you say, people like me are already repelled slightly … wrt Apache Nov 19 15:40
schestowitz As soon as they defend Microsoft I feel like I need to get a puke pouch. Nov 19 15:40
trmanco schestowitz, “Remember that Google’s is an Apache fork.” -> I forgot to mention this when I posted the link :-P Nov 19 15:41
schestowitz People from Apache confronted us in BN. They tried to defend selling out… Microsoft is pressuring many FOSS groups, consortia and LUGs. They try to stink up the place by attending. This IRC channel too used to have ‘cj’ (for Microsoft). Nov 19 15:41
schestowitz trmanco: Microsoft will surely spin this though as Apache not doing so well. Lies, damn lies, and stats, y’know… Nov 19 15:42
twitter I’m not too worried.  When things really go wrong, projects like Debian fork and everyone runs to the better fork. Nov 19 15:42
schestowitz That’s the stories they’ll tell uncritical journos anyway. Nov 19 15:43
twitter Stinking up conferences is an old practice.  I read about them doing this to Apple. Nov 19 15:43
schestowitz Wait until Microsoft tries to plant some people inside Debian [hypothetical]. Nov 19 15:43
twitter My trolls have already bragged about being Debian contributors. Nov 19 15:43
schestowitz That would ruin it. All they need to do is seed the project with an apologist or a village fool that will open up the door… like Alex Brown in ISO. Nov 19 15:43
schestowitz Mono too is entertaining Microsoft chaps. Nov 19 15:44
twitter I ignored it because the project’s commitment to freedom and organization are too strong to let M$ fuck it over. Nov 19 15:44
schestowitz Novell did this in India. Nov 19 15:44
schestowitz Hence the protests Nov 19 15:44
schestowitz Read the remarks from Anivar.. they excluded OpenOffice.org, Red Hat, etc. It was Novell stealing the show stealthily. Nov 19 15:45
schestowitz RMS approved what the guys did. Nov 19 15:45
twitter M$ can damage Debian by setting up arguments that waste time but M$ will fail before Debian does. Nov 19 15:45
schestowitz It’s claimed that they already do this in Ubuntu Nov 19 15:45
twitter They do it everywhere. Nov 19 15:46
schestowitz Requesting Silverlight, defending Mono’s presence, etc. I’m told this by people. Nov 19 15:46
twitter “Mind Control: To control mental output you to have to control mental input.  Take control of the channels by which developers receive information, then they can only think about the things you tell them.  Thus, you control mindshare!”   http://docs.google.com/Present?docid… Nov 19 15:47
twitter Everywhere developers meet, M$ will spew poison. Nov 19 15:47
schestowitz Yes, I know. Nov 19 15:47
schestowitz That’s a MUST-ATTEND talk at Microsoft. Nov 19 15:47
schestowitz The guy who wrote it said so. Nov 19 15:47
twitter M$ wastes untold billions of dollars pushing that kind of poison. Nov 19 15:48
schestowitz “Gentoo user” is one of your stalkers in BN Nov 19 15:49
schestowitz That ‘person’ never talks about the subjects at hand. Just ad hominem, IIRC. Nov 19 15:50
twitter yes.  They keep posting the same crap. Nov 19 15:50
twitter It’s spam. Nov 19 15:50
schestowitz Who goes by the Linux vanity name “Gentoo user” anyway? Nov 19 15:50
schestowitz And why Gentoo? To say “I’m hardcore 1337 *nix”? Nov 19 15:50
twitter For a while, while it was new and difficult, the M$ trolls were promoting gentoo. Nov 19 15:51
twitter There’s nothing like throwing a newbie to the something like that to sour them on the whole GNU/Linux experience for years. Nov 19 15:52
twitter The name choice may lend credibility for readers who know nothing, which is what M$ is interested in. Nov 19 15:53
twitter Anyone who knows anything quickly dumps Windows as a platform. Nov 19 15:54
twitter M$ is all about delaying that and staying relevant. Nov 19 15:54
twitter The trolls used to bug me about the name “twitter” too. Nov 19 15:56
twitter I chose it because that’s what I do to equipment to make it work well.  It turned out to be a good choice from the way the M$ people hear my posts like a gaggle of angry birds. Nov 19 15:58
twitter If Kennedy thinks someone at M$ hates him, Kennedy should watch my stuff sometimes.  :) Nov 19 16:00
trmanco Hey cool, Portuguese media promoting Ubuntu: http://ciberia.aeiou.pt/?st=10581 Nov 19 16:02
twitter M$FT, still under $20, and they will fall off the cliff with the rest of the market as the GWB administration has promised to sit on it’s hands instead of bailing out home owners.  LA Times had a good article on this. Nov 19 16:03
trmanco and some more: http://tek.sapo.pt/noticias/computadores/open_so… | http://tek.sapo.pt/noticias/computadores/ope… Nov 19 16:06
schestowitz Microsoft promoting Gentoo, eh? I think I know why. Nov 19 16:06
schestowitz Create some more bitter experiences… Nov 19 16:06
schestowitz twitter: I can check the logs to see what ‘Gentoo user’ runs. Nov 19 16:07
schestowitz [unless there's header spoofing] Nov 19 16:07
twitter that will be interesting. Nov 19 16:07
twitter here’s the article http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi… Nov 19 16:07
twitter Basically, Paulson has promised to do nothing and to ignore homeowner problems.  The stock market and economy will tank on that kind of news. Nov 19 16:08
schestowitz Hehe. Nov 19 16:10
schestowitz I just realised that Microsoft employed Gentoo’s founder. Take that thought further… Nov 19 16:10
schestowitz [sarcasm] What if Microsoft created and promoted the most difficult and frustrating Linux, then promoted it? Nov 19 16:11
twitter That may have happened but it backfired. Nov 19 16:11
twitter I have yet to try it out but I keep hearing good things about it and that people actually use it. Nov 19 16:13
twitter I like the Debian way better because most people only want to tweak one or two programs at a time. Nov 19 16:13
schestowitz Ha! Nov 19 16:15
schestowitz This is funny. Nov 19 16:15
schestowitz Gentoio user in November: Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz ┌─(roy@localhost Wed, 19 Nov 08)─—————————————— ——————─(/home/roy/Desktop)────┐ Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz └─(16:12 $)─> gunzip bo Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz boycottnovell.com-Nov-2008.gz       boycottnovell.com-Nov-2008.gz.part Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz └─(16:12 $)─> gunzip boycottnovell.com-Nov-2008.gz Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz └─(16:14 $)─> grep 12.10.219.36 boycottnovell.com-Nov-2008 Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz 12.10.219.36 – - [03/Nov/2008:12:49:47 -0500] “GET /wp-content/themes/ocadia/sty Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz le.css HTTP/1.0″ 200 8903 “http://boycottnovell.com/category/irc-logs/” “Mozilla Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz .0.17″ Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz 12.10.219.36 – - [03/Nov/2008:12:49:47 -0500] “GET /category/irc-logs/ HTTP/1.0″ Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz 200 69745 “-” “Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gec Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz ko/20080829 Firefox/2.0.0.17″ Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz 12.10.219.36 – - [03/Nov/2008:12:49:51 -0500] “GET /wp-content/uploads/2008/11/9 Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz 35815___mine__.jpg HTTP/1.0″ 200 17438 “http://boycottnovell.com/” “Mozilla/5.0 Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080829 Firefox/2.0.0.17 Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz 52151_abraham_lincoln.jpg HTTP/1.0″ 200 12788 “http://boycottnovell.com/” “Mozil Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz la/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080829 Firefox/2 Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz .0.0.17″ Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz 12.10.219.36 – - [03/Nov/2008:12:49:51 -0500] “GET / HTTP/1.0″ 200 99315 “http:/ Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080829 Firefox/2.0.0.17″ Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz 12.10.219.36 – - [03/Nov/2008:12:49:51 -0500] “GET /wp-content/uploads/2008/11/j Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz onathan_20zuck.jpg HTTP/1.0″ 200 96877 “http://boycottnovell.com/” “Mozilla/5.0 Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz 12.10.219.36 – - [03/Nov/2008:12:49:52 -0500] “GET /wp-content/uploads/2008/11/1 Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz 016609_laundry.jpg HTTP/1.0″ 200 9346 “http://boycottnovell.com/” “Mozilla/5.0 ( Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17 Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz That’s just a portion. Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz It’s always Windows. Nov 19 16:16
schestowitz Seems like your stalker “Gentoo user” has not much to do with GNU/Linux at all. Nov 19 16:17
schestowitz He came with this IP address several times this month. Nov 19 16:17
schestowitz I assume it’s a daily routine because there are gaps in the logs (probably dynamic IP) Nov 19 16:18

1. Gentoo User (and proud of it) said,

November 19, 2008 at 12:59 pm

*slaps head*

Well Roy, I’m sorry if not everyone can be as pure as you and your buddies. I do use Windows at work, which is where that IP you have comes from. Go on and check it against this post, you’ll see it’s the same one, because I doubt the corporate proxy IP address ever changes. If you see another IP with my handle on it, it’s my home DSL one, although I don’t remember posting from home or from my laptop. That’s where I happily run Gentoo. If you do find my home IP address you can probably stop by the Gentoo IRC forum and match it to my handle. You probably can’t miss it.

And there might be other people posting from behind this proxy, I don’t know. It’s a big company. But then you probably already know that.

As for your claims of my “stalking”, you must be confusing me with the other people who post evidence of twitter’s trolling time and time again. I’m sorry to disappoint you, but that’s not me. Of course when you’re as paranoid as you and your friends, I guess everyone who says anything you don’t like must be employed by Microsoft and actively out to get you.

Oh, and if I remember correctly, when I first posted on your blog I think I posted as “Slashdot User” or something like that, because that’s where I came from after seeing one of your buddy’s weird posts, but I changed that when I figured it would be disruptive. I had never heard of you before that point. Go ahead and check your logs again. In fact, why don’t you do another detailed post about everything I’ve ever posted here? That should be enlightening, if nothing else to prove that the worst thing I’ve done is ask you to clarify things you write, which you of course have never done. If I have made fun of your Chief Attacker in my comments it’s probably because he fully deserves it, considering he’s been a huge pain on Slashdot. He’s a perfect example of everything that I dislike about the “evangelism” of FOSS. The crass language, the sockpuppets, creative spelling, insults and laughable paranoia. But it was never my intention to badger you endlessly about your association to him, other people seem to be doing that quite successfully.

Note: comment arrived from a witch hunter that does not even use GNU/Linux.

2. Chris said,

November 19, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Oh Boy, poor poor twitter is being stalked by evil persons who dare to point out that he’s a well known troll … How could they dare?

Please gimme a break :D

And just cause this shouldn’t miss so everyone can make up ones own opinion:

What a lovely fellow …

November 19, 2008 at 1:19 pm

This isn’t about him, but more about the goose chase which involves stalkers that come up with smears and excuses.

If only you had spent more time focusing on the subject of the posts and not on people who comment on these posts…

4. Gentoo User (and proud of it) said,

November 19, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Roy, can you point me to an example of where I have “smeared” your friend?

Note: comment arrived from a witch hunter that does not even use GNU/Linux.

5. twitter said,

November 19, 2008 at 1:45 pm

The above smear speaks for itself, Windows User but you are right that more than one nym is being used here. I’m sure that Roy will add those to the list.

6. twitter said,

November 19, 2008 at 1:49 pm

It is probably worth linking the manufacturing abuse article here as proof of pattern. People who look at M$ and publish objectively are always hounded like this.

November 19, 2008 at 1:54 pm

Just watch all the ad hominem attacks chained to yesterday’s article. I guess this means that the message is hard to refute.

8. Gentoo User (and proud of it) said,

November 19, 2008 at 3:38 pm

You are completely nuts if you think I posted anything in that InfoWorld article, I hadn’t even read it until I clicked on your link. And by god, even if I had, can you point me to my specific comment in that thread? All I see is mostly your friends posting there. Did you notice?

Do you realize how paranoid you’ve become?

And I repeat my request for you to show me the “smears” I’ve posted here, please.

Note: comment arrived from a witch hunter that does not even use GNU/Linux.

9. Gentoo User (and proud of it) said,

November 19, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Oh and twitter, unfortunately I don’t have the same time and resources as the people on Slashdot who make your life difficult (employees of Microsoft, all of them I’m sure), but I wish I had bookmarked a lot of the comments they post with links to your disruptions, insults and high drama about being targeted by ‘M$’. You’re certainly one to talk about “smears”.

I’ve been active on Slashdot for almost three years and I’ve never seen anyone with the same problems you have. Funny, isn’t it?

Note: comment arrived from a witch hunter that does not even use GNU/Linux.

10. G. Michaels said,

November 19, 2008 at 11:00 pm

I think I get this. Since it’s not possible that Schestowitz flew off the handle because “Gentoo User” dared to post from anything other than a Gentoo box, and there is no evidence of him “trolling” anything, I think this whole twitter thing is starting to get to him. He appreciates having a resourceful troll and nymshifter working for him, but he’s uncomfortable with how that reflects on him every time twitter posts another shill thread on Slashdot choke-full with helpful links to BoycottNovell and the usual sprinklings of “M$ shit ass Windoze fuck LOL SweatyB HAR, HAR”. I think people are starting to wise up to what’s happening here.

I’d like to mention that I changed my user agent to correctly state the fact that I use Plan9 as my primary OS. Really, check it out. Because it’s really that friggin’ simple to change it in Firefox. Maybe Gentoo User could have done that as well, and if that were the case, would this little flamefest be relevant? No. No, I don’t think the fact “Gentoo User” is not posting from Gentoo mortifies you. People (other than your retinue) are not that stupid, you know.

Oh, and one final thing. Be careful with the way you edit those posts. Remember they’re all still in their original form in the Google cache.

Note: writer of this comment adds absolutely nothing but stalking and personal attacks against readers, as documented here.

11. Cor said,

November 20, 2008 at 2:08 am

Oh, god. Now everyone who dares to regularly criticise Mr Roy Schestowitz gets a red line below his every comment in order stigmatize him.

Great work, Mr S.

12. Needs Sunlight said,

November 20, 2008 at 7:53 am

The threat to Debian is more than theoretical. A while back you posted links to at least one person who in violation of the Debian Social Contract started trying to commit MS’ java imitation.

Look around a little bit and you’ll see that the contract is violated with many instances of C# and/or Mono contamination.

November 20, 2008 at 7:58 am

I’ve seen the same people who promote and defend Mono in Ubuntu forums and mailing lists doing this in Debian too. I can produce proof (I think it’s already in one of the IRC logs from last week).

14. G. Michaels said,

November 20, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Roy, yes, proof would be welcome. For a change. Proof of Gentoo User’s “smears” and “trolling” would also be welcome. You do have that somewhere, right?

1. IRC Proceedings: Tuesday, December 10, 2019

IRC logs for Tuesday, December 10, 2019

2. Today's Example of Microsoft's Faked 'Love'

“On 7 September 2017, users began noticing a message that stated “Skype for Business is now Microsoft Teams”. This was confirmed on 25 September 2017, at Microsoft’s annual Ignite conference,” according to Wikipedia

3. Links 10/12/2019: Kubernetes 1.17, Debian Init Systems GR

4. 'Cancel Culture' as 'Thoughtpolice' Creep

Richard Stallman spoke about an important aspect of censorship more than 2 decades ago (before “Open Source” even existed); it was published in Datamation (“Censoring My Software”) 23 years before a campaign of defamation on the Internet was used to remove him from MIT and FSF (censoring or ‘canceling’ Stallman himself)

5. Microsoft Still Hates GNU/Linux and Mark Shuttleworth Knows It (But He is Desperate for Money)

We're supposed to believe that a PR or image management (reputation laundering) campaign alone can turn Microsoft from GNU/Linux foe into friend/ally

6. Actions Against EPO Corruption and Unitary Patent (UPC) Injustice/Lobbying

The EPO is apparently going on strike again and an action against the UPC is scheduled for later this week (protest in Brussels)

7. “The Fifth Freedom as a Meme”

The issue with systemd (or SystemD) has provoked or at least stimulated discussions about the limits of the famous Four Freedoms

8. IRC Proceedings: Monday, December 09, 2019

IRC logs for Monday, December 09, 2019

9. Demonstration Against Unitary Software Patents, Thursday 12 Dec in Brussels

FFII's call to demonstrate against the UPC

10. Links 9/12/2019: China on GNU/Linux, Canonical Wants Help to Improve Ubuntu

11. Links 9/12/2019: Linux 5.5 RC1, EasyOS Buster 2.1.9

12. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, December 08, 2019

IRC logs for Sunday, December 08, 2019

13. Mandatory Education for Those Who Use and Misuse Buzzwords Would Go a Long Way

In an age of substitution — where marketing terms replace meaningful words and concepts — it has gotten more difficult to have honest debates, for example about the scope of patents

14. Once Upon a Time Banter Was Allowed on Mailing Lists

Hours ago Torvalds announced RC1 of the next Linux (kernel) release; it has been a while since he last said something ‘controversial’ (following his month at the penalty box); free speech deficit can make us weaker, not stronger (advantage to those who work in the dark)

15. Links 8/12/2019: Debian Init Systems GR, NomadBSD 1.3

16. Can We Quit Celebrating DRM in GNU/Linux?

Over the past couple of days various news sites and "Linux" sites expressed great satisfaction [1-5] over the passive embrace of Disney's DRM ploy (Disney+), even when Disney itself rejects DRM, seeing the harms practically caused by it [6,7]

17. You Know WSL is Bad for GNU/Linux Because Anti-Linux People, Microsoft and Its Propagandists, Want People to Use That

Microsoft and its boosters (and media partners) haven’t grown tired of spreading falsehoods to stigmatise and take control of GNU/Linux by creating their own versions and traps for it

18. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, December 07, 2019

IRC logs for Saturday, December 07, 2019

19. 5 Years Ago the Linux Foundation Turned Linux.com Into a Non-Linux Site

One can leverage the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine to better understand how, over time, the Foundation called “Linux” deviated or diverged away from its mission statement for the sole purpose of raising corporate funds and selling influence to corporations (passing the community’s hard work to them — a form of tacit privatisation)

20. Microsoft Redefining Ownership and Identity of GNU/Linux

The idea that “Microsoft loves Linux” is as insane as it gets; but the lie which is “Microsoft loves Linux” is a powerful enabler of Microsoft entryism, e.g. if Greg steps down, does a Microsoft employee become the deputy of Linus Torvalds?

21. Things That Cannot Be Said

The limits on what we can say are mostly defined by what sources permit us to say publicly (for the sake of source protection)

22. Fake European Patents (on Algorithms) Leading to Fake Embargoes

Law firms have gotten their way in Germany; instead of supporting the productive workers the patent system is nowadays promoting the litigation 'industry' and it ought to be corrected

23. From Moderate Advice to FUD and Misinformation: The Case of a VPN Vulnerability (CVE-2019-14899)

What should have been a trivial bugfix in a variety of operating systems and bits of software — both proprietary and Free software — somehow became anti-Linux FUD, clickbait and worse

24. Dangerous Thinker

Society oughtn't be alarmed by people who say unusual things; it should be wary and sceptical of those corporations ever so eager to silence such people

25. Unitary Patent (UPC) Died Along With the Credibility of Managing IP and the Rest of the UPC Lobby

It is pretty astounding that Team UPC (collective term for people who crafted and lobby for this illegal construct) is still telling us lies, even in the absence of underlying supportive facts, and pressure groups disguised as "news sites" latch onto anything to perpetuate an illusion of progress (even in the face of a growing number of major barriers)

26. IRC Proceedings: Friday, December 06, 2019

IRC logs for Friday, December 06, 2019

27. Links 7/12/2019: Fedora 31 Elections Results, Lots of Media Drama Over VPN Bug

28. Links 6/12/2019: DRM in GNU/Linux and Sparky Bonsai

29. The EPO Rejects Innovation

The EPO ceased caring about the needs of scientists whose work involves invention; instead, EPO management crafts increasingly lenient guidelines that yield illegal European Patents (not compatible with the EPC) that heavily-besieged EPO judges are unable to stop

30. Startpage CEO Robert Beens in 'Damage Control' Mode, Trying to Get Startpage Relisted After Selling to a Massive Surveillance Company

PrivacytoolsIO is being lobbied by the CEO of Startpage to relist Startpage, based on no actual refutations at all