cancel Mac Office 97 will immediately harm Apple ..

From: Bill Gates
Sent: Friday, June 21, 1997 9:37 AM
To: Ben Waldman
Cc: Jon DeVaain; Greg Maffei
Subject: RE: Moving forward with Mac Office 97

I appreciate your mail, It shows the kind of passion about great products that has made Microsoft successful, I admit we have neglected the Mac business. Although the Mac is declining if we move ahead on this product we should ask for the subs with localized product to make a real effort.

I have 2 things I need to understand better.

1) Realistically when do we think we would ship this product?

2) Can we avoid Apple knowing how far along we are for the next 30 days?