billg on how to cause a Java schism ..
- Subject: billg on how to cause a Java schism ..
- From: Doug Mentohl <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 14:34:16 +0000
- Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
- Organization: Datemas.de http://www.datemas.de
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061023 SUSE/2.0-30
- Xref: ellandroad.demon.co.uk comp.os.linux.advocacy:499865
From: Bill Gates
Sent: Monday, June 16, 1997 3:38 AM
To: Paul Maritz
Cc: Arron Contorer; Natham Myhrvold; John Lufwig; Paul Gross; Ben Slivka
Subject: Java schism
A point that is important to me is to have PURE JAVA applications that
do a lot HAVE to ship a full runtime instead of being able to count on
the run time being shipped with the operating system. This will make
more complex in some ways that a Windows application that uses our
native APIs. It will make the installation and version management harder.
Since we do want to run JAVA applets in the browser we have to provide
some JAVA support there. It may be that some of the JAVA runtime should
ONLY be available through the browser - like AWT versus our equivalent.
I think restricting things to the browser is an important idea that
should be explored.