billg on how to cause a Java schism ..

From: Bill Gates
Sent: Monday, June 16, 1997 3:38 AM
To: Paul Maritz
Cc: Arron Contorer; Natham Myhrvold; John Lufwig; Paul Gross; Ben Slivka
Subject: Java schism

A point that is important to me is to have PURE JAVA applications that do a lot HAVE to ship a full runtime instead of being able to count on the run time being shipped with the operating system. This will make more complex in some ways that a Windows application that uses our native APIs. It will make the installation and version management harder.

Since we do want to run JAVA applets in the browser we have to provide some JAVA support there. It may be that some of the JAVA runtime should ONLY be available through the browser - like AWT versus our equivalent. I think restricting things to the browser is an important idea that should be explored.

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/122106/PLEX0_2727.pdf