helping Sears rewrite DR-DOS contract ..

REDACTED

From: Brad Silverberg
To: Jon Kecbejian
Cc: Brad Chase; SYS MS-DOS Marketing Team
Subject: RE: Sears - Navy Lapheld Contract Win
Date: Monday, June 01, 1992 2:57 PM

excellent work

From: Jon Kecbejian
To: Brad Silverberg
Cc: Brad Chase; SYS MS-DOS Marketing Team
Subject: Sears - Navy Lapbeld Contract Win
Date: Monday, June 01, 1992 1:57 PM

Debbie Raa (MS Federal Sales Rep) and I called on Sears Business Systems - Federal Group in their Washington, DC, offices on May 13, 1992. Sears had recently won the Navy LapHeld contract (25,000 to 75,00 PCs per year for three years - the only notebook award in the Federal government) which included DR-DOS. Debbie and I met with Sears' technical leads to discuss DR-DOS support issues (versus MS-DOS) and the future Windows compatibility in an effort to get Sears to replace DR_DOS 6 with MS-DOS 5. Sears said they were going with DR-DOS unless DR cannot abide by the terms of the Navy contract. Sears was content to let DR assume the risk of Windows compatibility.

Debbie Rae and Brett Swartz found a clause in the navy contract requiring compatibility with Windows and got the Navy to insist Sears honor it. After Debbie and I made clear to Sears DR-DOS and Windows compatibility would always be a major issue, as well as DR's regular "business" updates for which Sears is responsible, Sears included a clause guaranteeing DR-DOS would be compatible with Windows now and in the future in Sears' agreement with DR. DR's lawyers refused to sign the contract.

In the course of a week Don Hardwick and I were in daily contact with Sears to address immediate support and education issues (MS-DOS (JonK) and Windows (TyCar)). product needs (creating disk images in 1.44MB format so the current Sears packaging could be maintained), and getting the OEM agreement signed.

The deal was signed Friday, May 29, with Sears solidly behind MS-DOS and already looking to swap the bid applications for Windows and Windows applications. Sears expects to sell at least 150,000 PCs over the life of this contract to Federal agencies.

Jon

REDACTED

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/4000/PX04602.pdf

--

court documents in the case of Comes v Microsoft.