Re: Changing the FTP organization

Ian Murdock writes ("Re: Changing the FTP organization"):
> Well, the tree has to get their *sometime*; the real issue is *when*.
>
> We have two choices:
>
>    1) A few weeks before a release is announced, we copy the development
>    tree to a directory named after the release (e.g., "debian-1.1"); over
>    the next week or two, the new tree propogates to mirrors, without any
>    intervention on their part.
>
> or
>
>    2) A few weeks before a release is announced, we make the code-named
>    development tree the released tree by changing the target of an
>    appropriately-named symbolic link, and then create a new code-named
>    development tree; over the next week or two, the new tree propogates
>    to mirrors.  If a site wants to mirror *only* the release version(s),
>    the administrator of that site changes the configuration to (1) stop
>    excluding the previously-excluded development tree (because it's now
>    a released version); and (2) start excluding the new development tree.

No, you've misunderstood the second proposal.  It's more like:

 2) A few weeks before a release is announced, we warn the partial
    mirrors to stop excluding the about-to-be-released tree.  They
    copy the tree before the release date.

    When we feel we're ready, we release it by renaming a few
    symlinks.  We tell the partial mirrors that they can stop
    mirroring the old tree, and get them to exclude the new
    development tree.

    A week or two after the release we make a copy of the
    newly-released tree to become the new development tree.  The full
    mirrors catch up.

This is better because it ensures that whenever `development' or
`stable' points to a tree that tree is complete.  It requires less
copying for full mirrors.

What proportion of our mirrors are full and partial ?

Ian.