From: Matthew Bailey <mbailey@cps.cmich.edu>
To: Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk>
cc: Bruce Perens <bruce@pixar.com>
Subject: Re: chiark upload queue - what to do with it ?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 21:45:26 -0500 (EST)

> Oops.  Matt, shall I send you a digest ?  I have a 60-day expiry on my
> gatewayed mailinglists here.

Well bruce already sent it to me....

We have a definate problem....
If the use of the debian group leaves this machine (ie my desk machine)
I lose it and we lose everything I have fought for up to this point.
The machine is the largest Pentium in the department and the faculty are
begging for a Oracle server. If the debian people leave the machine and
it trottles figure about a 25 limit connection on the 16meg 486-66 that
will be comming this way.

I am not at all trilled that this has happened without the knowledge of
myself or david. So unless something is resolved soon one way or the
other you might as well look at ftp.debian.org and www.debian.org comming
offline on or about Feb 1st because once the word gets out you can kiss
this machine goodbye....

PS. I am not in anyway against the idea of master.debian.org at all I
actually think it is a good idea. But none the less there will be a small
recussion on the blind side. Also, with the way the netscape server works
in the current config, mirroring is next to impossible. (in fact if I
would have known this this afternoon when my /usr/local/* got blown away
and I spent all day fixing it I would have just powered down the machine
then instead of worring about the mail that was bouncing......

PPS. I do this work for debian for fun and so does david. Neiter one of
use even use debian on our machine mainly because it doesn't even run
well on them. This is mainly do to the hardware that we have and not hte
operating system. FreeBSD seems to be the current staple of the
department, this would have been different IF debian would have been
released when they said it would, but since I do not maintain software
(mainly because my only access to a machine was Ian M's and that went
away) I didnt feal it manditory for me to whine over the date. When the
delay went all summer we had to come up with something for this last fall
which was freebsd.(then again mainly hardware problems)

I put this in terms of "they" it is not anyone's fault about the delay in
the release.

PPPS :) I know you hate me by now. I am in the middle of building
debian-sparc now and hope to have something useable by summer.

PPPPS by the way do you want to know the statistics of the ftp site :)
well I will tell you anyway. over the past 6months we have transfered
949Gigs of nothing but debian files. Now take a pair of T1's and put that
with 15,000 email users and you can see where all the bandwidth has gone :)

Enjoy......

- --
Matthew S. Bailey
107 Emmons Hall
Central Michigan University
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858

mbailey@cps.cmich.edu

... Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer,
my terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.  Any
resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic.
The question of the existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold
them is left as an exercise for the reader.  The question of the
existence of the reader is left as an exercise for the second god
coefficient.  (A discussion of non-orthogonal, non-integral polytheism
is beyond the scope of this article.)