Re: FTP vs. WWW arrangement

On Fri, 2 Feb 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Bruce:
> > Is it able to serve _any_ pages that live in our FTP area?
>
> Matt:
> > NO. What I can do in master.debian.org's case is give it the ability to
> > mirror the files INTO the public user space that it has.
>
> OK. One more question: are you very attached to having www.debian.org
> be the same system as ftp.debian.org? Since we have a few volunteers it
> might make sense to spread out the load - both CPU-wise and
> administratively. Let someone else run the WWW master and you run the
> FTP master? That doesn't mean to pull the plug this second, though :-).
> If we were to do this your system(s) would still distribute the
> WWW pages via FTP and other systems (I hope more than one) would mirror
> and serve them.

Bruce FTP master can run from a 24meg Sun3 jeez give the machine
something to do for its life. I really hate to think that my 1000$ for a
drive to save this machine from its death pays off here because I know
for a fact that it is not too late to get my drive back. :)

Bruce please go back to my original message I already plan on doing this.
Please don't go out and pull the plug on me anymore ftp administration is
automated. There is nothing to do there web maintenance is all I am
really doing. Besides as Carl Streeter said he uses 42megs of ram with
his update script which is not a problem on this machine besides all of
the work to make it run is finally about finished from here jeez take a
load off the people that didn't know about the move and let it rest for a
while. If you pull web then once again you might as well pull the plug
on the machine. Jeez I need something to do. :) (sarcasm intended)

Anyway what I asked for in my first mail message was for ftp2.debian.org
be pointed to my site in kansas. I will run ftp2.debian.org and
ftp2.debian.org as an httpd server. Heck for that matter I ask for
www2.debian.org (You know this would be much easier if someone was
running DNS that was on this list!) Bruce I don't see it a problem to run
it the way I said. This ensures that someone can make sure the interface
works correctly. and besides if the other WEB sites are not running a
properly configured NETSCAPE server then the web pages are almost useless
to them in the way CGI's are run..... Apache and NCSA and CERN can not
handle cgi's the same way as netscape.

PS.... would someone try some pings and flood pings to ftp.microworld.net
and tell me what they get for response times..?

BDALE!!!! I NEED A PASSWORD!!! :)

--
Matthew S. Bailey
107 Emmons Hall

mbailey@cps.cmich.edu

... Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer,
my terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.  Any
resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic.
The question of the existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold
them is left as an exercise for the reader.  The question of the
existence of the reader is left as an exercise for the second god
coefficient.  (A discussion of non-orthogonal, non-integral polytheism
is beyond the scope of this article.)