Re: architectures (was: Re: master.debian.org)

Bruce said:

> As far as I am aware, all of the 68K ports share one binary platform.
> Is this not the case? I know the kernels and boot disks are different,
> but don't they run the same executables?

A Mac, an Amiga, and a VME machine would likely need different 68k
kernels; and the next five 68k platforms for which Linux ports appear
would likely need five other kernels, or so it seems to me.  Is it
likely, though, that the bulk of the application binaries would run on
all of them?  How about differences between the various processors
in the m86k family?  Would/does gcc-68k produce code which will run
on 68000, 68030, 68032, 68040, 68XYZ?

If the answer to any of these questions is "no", is "m68k" a good
architecture designator?