Re: FYI: H.J. Lu on debian

David Engel writes:

> I had hoped H.J. would become a valuable member of
> our team and take over maintenance for Debian of the packages he
> already maintains for all of Linux.

That would definitely be a Good Thing.

> Unfortunately, H.J. just doesn't
> seem to grasp that a distributed effort such as ours simply can not
> move as fast as he would like.

I'm not completely sure that's the case.  We just don't move all at once.
Sure, "releases" are few and far between, but with being able to upgrade
single packages easily, I've found that to be less of an issue.

Heck, I had a server that was running an October 1994 0.93Beta (yes, the
basedisks before R1, when dpkg was a shell script) until this January.
I was able to fairly easily upgrade what needed upgrading--  I didn't
need a new "release" for new functionality.

Not that I'm arguing against the importance of Bruce's work on the 1.x
base set, just that a new "release" proper isn't as important as people with
experience with Slackware, or Dos/Win, or whatever other less upgradable
systems would think it is.  My main motivation in wanting a release is so that
the stable and unstable trees can have the same major C library version.

--
Carl Streeter                   |  "Etiquette-wise, there is no proper time
streeter@cae.wisc.edu           |    to use the phrase 'It sucks.'" --Dogbert