Re: Guidelines docs on ftp.debian.org.

On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> [...]
> One thing I can't figure out is how dpkg knows the debian-revision field.
> There used to be a "Revision" field in the control file, but dpkg now
> tells me:
>
> warning, in file `debian-tmp/DEBIAN/control' near line 15 package `sysvinit':
>  obsolete `Revision' or `Package-Revision' field used
>
> It seems to me that having 3 fields, "Package", "Version" and "Revision"
> is the way to go, not to stuff the revision field into the version field.
>
> The guidelines do not mention the Package-Revision: field, but the sample-files
> do. Help! :) [I think it would be good to restore the usage of that field]

Hmm ... ok, here's my guess :-) (hopefully Ian will put me right if I'm
miles off the mark here).

As we all know, dpkg now expects the field

Version: <upstream_version>[-<debian_revision>]

and the <debian_revision> may not contain a `-' character.  So I suppose
dpkg must look for the last `-' in the Version: field, and split it there.

This works fine, provided that there *is* a <debian_revision> part.  I'm
now wondering what happens if you have a version number which contains a
`-', but no revision, e.g. in

Version: 1.3.4-BETA

would dpkg try to convert `BETA' into a revision number? :-)  Although
the Guidelines do say that the upstream version shouldn't contain `-'
chars to avoid confusion, didn't Ian recently say (in this thread) that
it wasn't inforced? ...

I suppose the sample files must be outdated, if they still have two
separate fields for version and revision.

Oh well ...

Nikhil.