Re: Guidelines docs on ftp.debian.org.

On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Bill Mitchell wrote:

> Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@Q.cistron.nl> said:
>
> >[... history about formerly existing REVISION field, which disappeared
>       by being merged into the VERSION field  ...]
>
> > It seems to me that having 3 fields, "Package", "Version" and "Revision"
> > is the way to go, not to stuff the revision field into the version field.
>
> Ian J. said recently that the bug report tracking system was designed
> from the start with only a VERSIOn field, and that the presence
> of the REVISION field (in the package-identifying bug report
> prologue?) caused problems from the start.
>
> Perhaps the debian distribution packaging guidelines were changed
> in hopes of fixing a debian bug report tracking system problem.

Ah - all becomes clear! :-) (well, something like that, anyway.)

We're talking about changing the guidelines for developers (which was
done) rather than changing the procedure for bug-reporting by users
(which wasn't done).  This seems reasonable - we're meant to understand
this sort of thing better than the average user after all, aren't we?

Nikhil.