Re: Whether Revisions should be required

>Ian,
>
>In general I agree with you here; just one point I'd like to clarify.
>You mention that filenames in general are not parseable - well, can an
>automated distribution maintainence system, which takes things from
>Incoming and puts them in the right place, cope without parsing
>filenames?  If so, great; if not, do we have a problem?  Presumably it
>could be given a complete list of package names, which would help ...
>
>(The only reason I ask is that I remember talk of automating this process
>not so long ago.)

All the information for doing this should be in the .changes file.

Let has have a quick look at the files uploaded:

a .changes file  - to find version/package name look in it, to find
all other files associated with the upload - also look in it.

one or more .deb files - version/package name included in it.

.tar.gz, diff.gz files - no easy way to find out the info - should
this be changed?  However we know what .tar.gz and .diff.gz files
should be appearing by looking at the .changes file.

Other things you might want to do:

Auto Ftp - well I have shown this can be done already - the
information is in the Packages file associated with the binary
directory.

Find source to a particular package - this information is available
in the .changes file so these should be kept around in one lump
somewhere including old versions. (Ie I want to get source for
mumble-1.19-1 even the the current version is mumble-1.22).

I think this shows that we should aim to never need or want to parse
file names.  However dchanges should check that the file names that
are uploaded are correct in some fashion for .deb, .changes files this
is easy (check contents) more difficult for .tar.gz and .diff.gz files.

There were a couple of messages about a new source packaging that
appeared on this list a little while ago but no details - were should
I look.  If a new source package is made that included package and
version details inside it then there is no need to parse files names
(good imho).

Andy.