Re: Whether Revisions should be required

Raul Miller <rdm@tad.micro.umn.edu> said:

> If I'm on debian revision 5 of version 2.1.103 of some software, and
> version 3.0.5 comes is released, what should the debian revision be?
> Is it revision 6?  What this version addresses all of the fixes I'd
> done to 2.1.103, and I need to back out all of my diffs and come up
> with a different debian.rules file?  Is it revision 1?

What I do is to try to confine my changes to files named
debian.something.  When a new upstream revision is released, I
unpack it, copy all my debian.something files over from the
old version's debian directory (that is, the dir which is not
named "name-version(without_revision).orig", but rather is named
just "name-version(without_revision)"), make a survey of the
debian.* files to see what changes might be needed in them
for the new version, make a survey of the non-debian files in
the old version for any debian-specific changes which they might
contain (but I try to avoid introducing any), Reset debian.README
to one initial changes info entry numbered "-1", and go from there.

> If revision has no existence except to distinguish between different
> local revisions to the upstream software, what's the advantage in
> being about to parse it out from the upstream version number?

Its presence, plus not having '-' in the version field, makes it
possible to parse interesting items of information such as the
package name or the package file extension out of a package filename.