Re: Whether Revisions should be required

  Dirk> While dftp uses the Packages file, someone who `collects the files by
  Dirk> hand' depends on information being provided directly by the
  Dirk> filename. That's why we should put it into the filename. As well as
  Dirk> architecture codes, for that matter.

  Richard>  If they're doing it by hand, then there's no need for the
  Richard> filenames to be machine-parsable...

It's really good that we're not splitting hairs here ... Richard you missed
the context of my note: Steve remarked that folks behind a 14.4k modem would
not like to download emacs-19.30-0.deb as the only means to find some
information being encoded in the *package*. Someone, I think Nikhil, pointed
out that dftp peruses the package file for this information which led me to
make the comment that you see above.

And if we accept the fact that some people really do collect packages
manually, that we need a requirement that is *stronger than machine-parsable*
because it has to be obvious from the *filename* what the package is about.

Call this "human-parsable" and I don't mean humans like Carl with a PhD in
perl regexps :-). How about Forrest-Gump-parsable?

There is really no need to beat dead horses, most of our packages names
comply, as for example the emacs example above. But as was pointed out
earlier: regularity is a virtue, so let's all thrive for virtue now...

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                              http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd