Re: Whether Revisions should be required

OK, let's try taking this discussion in a slightly different direction.

AIUI, one camp in this discussion want filenames to be parsable, and the
other want revisions to stay non-compulsory.  Well, here's something I
wrote in private email to Bill Mitchell a couple of days ago:

> It seems to me that
> there should be a half-way house between the two camps ... here's a
> suggestion: revisions are not compulsory for Debian-only packages, but
> *are* compulsory for others; rather than *suggesting* that there be no
> hyphens in the upstream version, this would be *required*; finally, the
> revision field may not contain `.'.  This may be a bit complicated, but I
> think it's just about sufficient to make it possible to consistently
> parse filenames, without offending anyone ... or is that too much to ask for?

How does that strike people?  There are two reasons I suggested that
revisions should be compulsory for non-Debian-only packages: (i) version
strings ending in something silly like .ppc or .i386 would be confusing;
(ii) version numbers which were simple numbers (e.g. 190) could be
parsed as revisions.  If these can be got round, revisions needn't be
compulsory for any package, if people really don't want them to be ...

Can we have some comments on this?  It seems to me that an amicable
resolution would really be quite nice :-).

Cheers,

Nikhil.