on versions, revisions, and release dates

There's been a lot of talk about the version field and the revision field.
I think we would all have been able to agree on them long ago, but we are
trying to make a bad design work. Here's a proposal to change that design.

I propose that the "Version: " field should be informational only, and
should not be parsed or compared. And when that's the case, there isn't a
real need for a separate revision field.

Instead, each package should contain a "Release-Date: " field, which would
be a GMT date and time. This should be the only key by which packages are
compared to other versions of the same package. Obviously, this key can be
sorted reliably.

In the case where you want a "beta" and a "released" version of the same
package, use of separate package names and common virtual packages names
(and perhaps use of the "Replaces: " field) can dis-ambiguate these packages
and allow one to replace the other.

Regarding parsing file names, I think this could only be effective if
we had a reliably sort-able key for the version names and revision.
This was never strictly true as far as I can tell, and we can't assure
that it would ever be true without mangling the upstream maintainer's
versioning system. Instead, tools that access the package archive should
copy out the Packages file and use it.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
--
Pixar's "Toy Story", at greater than $184,200,000 in domestic box office
receipts, is the #1 movie released in 1995!