New Master.Debian.Org

Hi Y'all

As part of the move of master.debian.org to a new home, The following
has transpired;

1.  The new master home is at i-Connect.net.  We are a growing ISP in the
    Portland, Oregon, USA area.

2.  The new Czar is yours humbly.  For the curious, I am VP Technologies
    of iConnect Corp., the operator of i-Connect.Net.  I am assisted by
    Michael Neuffer, the eata_dma SCSI author.  Mike ``owns'' the DNS
    and the web server.  If you need help, you can call on me or on Mike.

3.  In case of emergencies, I can be reached at 503.677.2898 or you can
    page me at 441-1681.

4.  The processor that hosts master.debian.org is also serving our public
    ftp and news.  It is a P5-90 machine with many drives and 32MB of RAM.
    The load average with all this is about 0.16.  During peak hours (news
    expire + 20 mirroring pythons + full NFS copy from old-master) was about
    1.05.  It is being fed by a full T1 going directly into UUNet backbone.

5.  The server actually has two IP addresses.  One of primer.i-Connect.Net
    one of master.debian.org.  this miracle is made possible by Linux IP
    aliasing (a 1.3.??? feature).  The DNS master records is on our DNS
    server.

6.  Other than the kernel (1.3.76 + some patches) and libc (5.3.5), the server
    is pretty much stock Debian.  Most critical/new executables are ELF.
    So is the kernel.

7.  E-Mail for debian.org and master.debian.org is also handled by this
    processor.  The MTA is qmail.  A new, clever and very promising MTA.
    Bruce is the expert on this.  I am still learning.

8.  The user ``debian'' still exists but there is no login.  It is used as the
    default owner of the archive but cannot login.
    If you used this login before, pleas drop a note to Bruce & me.  With
    Bruce's  approval you can get your own login.  I am allergic to generic
    logins and like to know who access our (yours & mine :-) server with the
    ability to improve/damage/destroy.

9.  Same will become true of the account ``upload''.  All the developers in
    the Debian project have their own login to master.debian.org.  Others can
    ask for one or upload into ftp.i-Connect.Net/pub/Incoming and let the
    developer in charge know (or let me know and I will move it to the
    Incoming area.

10.  Same goes for ``mirror''.

10. Below is a list of all of you who now have accounts on master.debian.org.
    Find your name in the list.  It should point you to the login name and
    uid.  You initial password is ``urXXXX'' where XXXX=uid.  For example,
    Bill Mitchell's login is ``mitchell'' and his password is ``ur859''.
    Those of you that helped in the migration and already have an account,
    I (hope I) did not touch your account.

11. I Suggest you read the man pages in /var/qmail/man and setup a forwarding
    record, so mail sent to developer@debian.org will get to you.  I am also
    installing a pop3 server on the machine so you can pop your mail.
    At minimum, do the following:
      a.  Login to master (telnet)
      b.  change your password!
      c.  cd
      c.  /var/qmail/bin/maildirmake `pwd`/Maildir
      d.  touch .qmail
      e.  echo "`pwd`/Maildir/" >> .qmail
      f.  echo '|/var/qmail/bin/forward me@my.regular.address' >> .qmail
      g.  chmod 600 .qmail
    If you do not forwarding, then skip step f. above.  Remember!  the pop3
    server only understands maildirs!  Do not do these and mail will collect
    in ~/Mailbox but pop3 will not be able to do much with it.

12. For security and control reasons, we would like to disable logins to
    master.  On the other hand I want each of you to be able to securely setup
    your own password, forwarding address, etc.  To that end, you have an
    unrestricted access to the machine.  On the first sign of abuse, I will
    disable all user logins.  Let's hope I do not have to do that, but let's
    be frank about it.  There are over 75 of us contributors.  we put many
    long hours of effort into it.  master is then duplicated by thousands.
    the contents and integrity of master.debian.org are critical.  I intend
    to watch after our common interests and property as if it was mine alone.

13. If you notice any error in the users list below, please let me know.
    Any bounces from this list, I will disable the account and post a note
    to debian-development.

14. The logins ``debian'',  ``upload'',  and ``mirror'' will be disabled
    in one week from today.  please contact me if this causes you undue grief.

Sincerely Yours,
                           (Sent on 03/20/96, 15:21:26)
Simon Shapiro              i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
Shimon@i-Connect.Net       13455 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140 Beaverton OR 97008

Alvar Bray             alvar     819
Andres Chrigstrom      ac        816
Andrew D. Fernandes    adfernan  817