Re: New Master.Debian.Org

Hi Nikhil Nair;  On 21-Mar-96 you wrote:
> > Simon,
>
> Firstly, the trivial point: there's a typo in my first name in the
> namelist and on master, and chfn won't let me change it myself.  (Note
> the `k' in Nikhil).

Apologies.  I hate doing that.  Chfn is not shadow compatible or broken
or shadow is broken.  In more than one place.

> OK, now to the more important point.  If these usernames are to be used
> for email (developer@debian.org), wouldn't it make sense to make them
> vaguely systematic, based on the name, rather than just reflecting the
> regular name?  For instance, mine, nn201, is completely nonintuitive.  If
> the point of developer@debian.org is to simplify the email address, would
> something like nnair@debian.org or n.nair@debian.org or even
> nikhil.nair@debian.org (using myself as just an example) be better?

You are right.  I actually made the whole thing via a set of (stupid)
scripts that used the same login as your mailing list in the Debian Developers
list.  Whoever wants to change their login name, let me know.
I also though of putting the package name in the GCOS field and have a simple
script to update the ftp server with the list on a regular basis.

As it is now (+/- suggested changes), people can email to any developer at
debian.org and it will get to you.  Read the man pages for qmail.  There is
a way to create aliases to people can actually mail to dpkg@debian.org and
Bruce will get the mail (He does not get enough email.  We need to help him
out a bit here :-)

> PS: BTW, some of the steps you mentioned to do when logging in are done
> automatically, it seems ... the directory Maildir was created and put in
> .qmail automatically when I logged in, which was a bit confusing ... I
> think I got it right in the end, but I'm not too sure ...

Oh silly me.  I did do that. Didn't I.  Good idea for you to check it too.
I never make mistakes.  Only errors.

Sincerely Yours,
                           (Sent on 03/20/96, 18:59:28)
Simon Shapiro              i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
Shimon@i-Connect.Net       13455 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140 Beaverton OR 97008