Re: exchange with Richard Stallman

I have been listening quietly to this discussion as a new package
maintainer, certain that I had nothing to add to the discussion. Well,
obviously, I was wrong :-)
I discovered Linux when someone gave me a copy of the first Linux
Journal. This is the first, and so far the only, magazine that I have
ever read from cover to cover. (I even read the fine print in the
masthead) The part of that magazine that turned by head the most was the
GNU manifesto. I called Borland the next day and returned C++ 4.0 that I
had just received for a full credit. I also called InfoMagic and ordered
their Linux CD. Although the GNU manifesto changed my attitude about
software and it's production and use, what changed the practical
implementation of these new ideas, giving me the tools to make it real,
was, of course, Linux!
Now, I know how much Linux developers are supported in their efforts by
the existence of GNU software. It is just not clear to me how this
imposes a responsibility on Linux developers to support the goals of the
GNU project even when they are divergent from the goals of the Linux
project.
It seems to me that Bruce rejected Richard's directional requests more
because they seem to be an attempt on Richard's part to define work tasks
for the Debian development group. These tasks further Richard's goals but
do not necessarily further our goals.
This attitude on Richard's part reminds me a lot of Henry Ford. He would,
for instance, require that that shippers use crates of a specific
dimension with holes drilled in pre-specified places just so he could use
the plywood from the dismantled crates as floor boards in the car he was
making. Many of Richard's interests lately seem to be in getting other
development groups to do work that furthers his goals regardless of what
they may cost the other developers.
Richard's approach to defeating the proprietary software monsters is to
competitively remove them from the playing field by excluding them from
his environment. The approach with Linux on the other hand is to defeat
them by out-supporting their application programs. It is to this end that
projects like wine and dosemu are so valuable. It is these strategic
differences between GNU and Linux that have made cooperation difficult in
the past (reference libc for instance) and will continue to make
cooperation in some areas impossible in the future.
It will always be my position that cooperation is always more productive
than competition. I must just point out that, for the most part, what
Richard has proposed is not cooperation.

Thanks for your time,

Dwarf