Re: Call for votes

On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I would like all members of the debian-private list to vote YES - let's
> collaborate with FSF, or NO let's not.

Please would you clarify the word "collaborate". Does it mean:

a) do anything the FSF ask us to (unstripped binaries, texinfo, ignoring
non-free, etc.)

b) do things the FSF ask us to if it isn't too difficult

c) admit the FSF exist

> I know what it was like for Ian Murdock to work for Richard, and I would
> not want to be in the same position.

Surely you wouldn't be in the position of being paid to work on Debian?

The FSF seem to have different goals to us, at least in terms of going
for ideological purity rather than maximum utility. If working with them
involves giving up some utility then I vote against working with them.

I presume this will mean a few changes, for instance to the name (Debian
Linux rather than Debian GNU/Linux) and to some of the README files, for
example:

    Debian GNU/Linux is a complete and powerful Unix-compatible
 operating system for IBM PC and compatible machines with an 80386 or
 faster processor and ISA, EISA, VLB, or PCI architecture.  In effect,
 Debian GNU/Linux is a preliminary release of the GNU operating system,
 integrating the available parts of GNU with the Linux kernel.

Steve Early
sde1000@cam.ac.uk