Re: exchange with Richard Stallman

Bruce Perens writes:

> A big reason for the success of Linux is that we haven't
> been quite so doctrinare about FSF's agenda.

Definitely.  Linux has mainstreamed programming for the "ego" of it.
the FSF came up with the legal stuff necessary for it to be easy to
do, and not get caught up in all of the BS that goes along with it--
Just write code, what you want, and because you want to.

The FSF also sponsored projects like gcc, bash, and others, which, along with
BSD, allow a basic system, for others to build from.  Each of BSD, GNU, and
Linux owe to the others.  So we give back, but by doing things our way, not
theirs.

There is, because of linux, a lot more free software, which the FSF is
welcome to put in their GNU system, if it ever exists.  Does that mean
that the authors need to collaborate, or agree with the FSF, and what it
stands for today?  I hope not...

--
Carl Streeter                   |  "Etiquette-wise, there is no proper time
streeter@cae.wisc.edu           |    to use the phrase 'It sucks.'" --Dogbert