Re: Call for votes

Let's see what Richard's response is to this message I just sent him:

To: bruce@pixar.com, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: A separate project to create a GNU Linux

> Without cooperation, we will often encounter situations where we can
> only make a change in a very inefficient way.  For example, if we have
> to rebuild every package just to have debugging symbols, that is far,
> far more work than should really be necessary to get the result.

Unstripped executables might be nice, but they can't be that important
to your goal of promoting free software. I think the needs of free
software would be better served if you simply re-packaged our system
without the non-free programs, and otherwise let us develop Debian as
we pleased. But you don't seem to be satisfied that we're giving you a
free Linux distribution - you want it done your way. This is self-defeating.
Can you please allow us to fulfill your major goal and not the minor ones?

> When you say you would welcome such a project of ours, does that
> welcome actually include any kind of cooperation with the FSF?

I would prefer that the projects be partitioned such that FSF was a
Debian VAR on an equal footing with the other VARs (Yggdrasil,
Infomagic, etc.) FSF would contribute their changes back to the system,
and we could accept them or not, as we pleased. We would not claim to
be sponsored by FSF, we would not ask for FSF support, and FSF would be
able to market their derivation of Debian as the Official GNU Linux
system. We would maintain that all critical components of Debian would
be required to be free software, and we would continue to support
non-free software as accessories to the system but not as critical
components. We wouldn't be very interested in your lower-priority
goals, but we'd make a free operating system distribution. I think it's
in your interest to go along with that.

	Thanks

Pixar Animation Studios: Reality is not our business.
Pixar's "Toy Story", at greater than $184,200,000 in domestic box office
receipts, is the #1 movie released in 1995!