Re: exchange with Richard Stallman

On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Bdale Garbee wrote:

> > - it requires downloading sources (not always easy for those with
> >   low-tech connectivity)
>
> This argues strongly *against* having symbol information in the binary packages
> since it would make them all harder to download, too.

For myself, I have middling-good connectivity from work (lots of errors,
lots of ftp link lockups), and middling-fair connectivity from home
(work connectivity, but with a 9600 bps modem link between home and
work).  Updating my package files today typically requires going in to
work on a Saturday and dedicating half a day to the effort (I use a
transfer disk to get the downloaded backages home).  Once I've got
the binary packages, though, I have whatever information they contain
and I don't have any information which they don't contain.

If I needed to specially download a source package and rebuild with special
options in order to provide debugging information in support of a bug
report, that'd be quite a bit more of a pain than installing unstripped
executables from a binary package I already had in hand.  It'd be even
more of a pain if I were a non-package-maintainer debian user who had
turned up a bug and been asked to download sources, rebuild with
unstripped binaries, and use those binaries to provide a backtrace.  With
a  binary package containing unstripped executables ready to hand,
installing the executables without stripping them and providing the
backtrace could be a cookbook procedure even for a nontechnical user.