To GNU or not to GNU

I hope it is not too late to put two cents worth into this fray.

I have never met the esteemed Stallman.  Never actually listened to his
argument on this issue.  Actually I do not really know what the issue EXACTLY
is.

someone quoted said person to have said something.  Another person quoted
something else.  The combination is explosive.

As a person who have invested many, many thousands of dollars and many
countless nights and many sad faces (my children's at Daddy not being home
again), in Linux in general and Debian in particular, I have a lot to lose
if Debian goes the wrong way (say the way commercial Unix went).

For those who do not know, let me just say that since my first port of Unix
(6th Edition on a DEC PDP-11/44) until now I have seen some, heard some
and learned some.

1.  We all have egos to pamper.  The worst enemy of any Unix O/S was the
    development community itself.  It started with the different return value
    of fprintf() and continues right straight through the Stallman said/did
    not say.

2.  The real enemy of Free software (Lawyers, please shut up for a minute).
    is in Redmond WA and in Santa Clara CA.  These people are much, much
    smarter that you and me (Please do not quote me your IQ.  I scored over
    600 in a test once - faked it though :-).  Let us all calm down and try
    to clarify the water a bit.

3.  Can someone give me Stallman's correct name spelling and email address?
    I will write him a letter, appraising him of what is brewing here
    (gently!)  and invite an opening negotiating position.  The argument may
    end right there.  It may not.

4.  With all due respect for all of us, we have more of a responsibility than
    an inheritance here.  As fast as Linux ascended, this is how fast it can
    fall.  If what we do is right and correct and with honest motivation,
    we will succeed.  If we do not, it will collapse.

What do you say.  Shall we take a step or two back and try to find out what
is going on for real?  then we can yell and rant and rave.  I am VERY GOOD
at that.  Ask my wife & children!

Sincerely Yours,           (Sent on 03/25/96, 19:04:00 by XF-Mail)

Simon Shapiro              i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
Shimon@i-Connect.Net       13455 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140 Beaverton OR 97008