Re: To GNU or not to GNU

Hi bruce@pixar.com;  On 26-Mar-96 you wrote:

> > Simon,
>
> I'm surprised you didn't catch Richard's comments, as they were directed
> to the Linux-kernel mailing list. OK, that list has 100 postings a day,
> but this thread was difficult to miss.

I did not miss the thread.  I just ignored much of it as ``Nah, this is not
real..''.

I guess i was mistaken.  This is real.  I have my own opinions on what have
happened here, globally and specifically.  I will not voice them as they are
politically very incorrect.

The damage has been done.  Now how do we contain it?

I will take the precious hours tomorrow and write a letter to Mr. Stallman.
He is such a busy man, he probably will not have the time to answer it.
But then I hope he will.

Among ourselves, I think we should just ignore this unfortunate incident, as
hurting and disconcerting as it may.  It is my opinion that we should, for
the time being, leave Mr. Stallman to his opinions and concentrate on doing
what we do best;  Build a good, stable Linux, GNU, Gnu/Linux/ Linux/GNU,
a Camel or cucumber.  Who cares about the name?  With all due respect to Mr.
Stallman and the GNU project, he does not control any of us.  Heck, he does
not even pay any of us that I know of.

As I alluded to in the previous posting, division is the greatest danger to
us.  I was just waiting to see HOW and WHEN it will happen.  I had no doubt
it will happen.  I worked in the Unix community for many years.  Did not make
a name for myself, because I simply am not interested in it.  The people I
worked with, the concepts I introduced, the work I did is known to them well.

What I am saying here is not necessarily popular but take it form an old
timer who have made all the mistakes:

Egos will destroy us.  Beware of the money makers.  It is nothing for them to
put few million dollars into helping us destroy ourselves.  Remember, we have
a hobby, maybe a training ground, or even a small business invested in all
this.  They have a sizable portion of the world economy invested.  I cannot
and will not quote to you how I know what I know but the information is very
reliable (first hand and I do not lie):  We worry them.  Very much so.
Mr. Stallman (out of necessity?) walks a very thin line between us and
``them''.  He may trip.  Do not let him take us with him.

Please do not take this out of context.  I have no doubt in my mind as to the
integrity, honesty and good intentions of Mr. Stallman.  The simple fact is
that he made a serious mistake and CREATED a division in the Free Software
community.

Let us get all together, as adults and mend this tear before too late.

I will be happy to talk to any of you  and elaborate on what I said.

Sincerely Yours,           (Sent on 03/25/96, 20:50:26 by XF-Mail)
                           503.677.2900
Simon Shapiro              i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
Shimon@i-Connect.Net       13455 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140 Beaverton OR 97008