Re: The Super-Ultra-Mega Build Idea

Bruce:
>We could improve on this, and we have to anyway for multi-architecture
>releases. Make it possible to build the entire distribution from source
>with one command, and with your own choice of CFLAGS and LDFLAGS.

Mike:
> <humor>This is a 1.2 target, right?</humor>
>
> But, once again, if we're already talking about changing the source
> packaging format, this would be the time to take on this additional
> idea.

Rather than place this item on the 1.2 release schedule, I consider it
an independent project for one person who is interested in doing the
work, not coupled to any particular release schedule. Of course this
person would need the cooperation of all package maintainers to insert
patches to debian.rules and their Makefiles. I'd sure like to hear from
someone willing to come forward and take it on.

You should really be able to extract each .tar.gz, cd into the source
directory just extracted, and build with
'./debian.rules binary CFLAGS="..." LDFLAGS="..."' and have it work the
first time, using the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS you pass on the command line.
If LDFLAGS doesn't contain "-s", debian.rules should not strip the
executables. If your debian.rules or Makefile uses an explicit "strip"
command, simply test for if ( $(findstring -s,$(LDFLAGS)) ) before
invoking it. If CFLAGS contains -m<architecture>, that should be honored.
-m<architecture> should be passed to other language compilers from CFLAGS.
GNU make has all of the string-transformation functions to make that simple
to do.

	Thanks

Pixar Animation Studios: Reality is not our business.
Pixar's "Toy Story", at greater than $184,200,000 in domestic box office
receipts, is the #1 movie released in 1995!