Recent disk set

I got the i386 disk set a day or so ago, got one of my HDs cleared off,
and did a bare 1.1 install. The following are what I saw to be problems
during the installation.

While installing the root disk, the ticking clock effect was spoiled by
the display of '<5>' before each tick through the \-|-/ characters.

The first time through initializing the root partition failed near the
end, and just hung with the drive light on. The partition was broken and
unmountable from that point. Rebooting and doing it again ran without
flaw. As it turned out, I could have skipped this step, as the partition
in question already had a file system on it. It would be nice if the
installation software recognized this. I might still want to re-format
the drive, but the current interface method handles that nicely.

At the point the offer is made to install the kernel, the last base disk
is still in the drive. No prompt is provided, indicating that the boot
disk should be inserted in place of the base 3 disk. As I have seen this
type of problem before, I was able to surmise from the error messages
that I needed the boot disk in the drive. Retrying after the switch
worked fine. There really needs to be a prompt here.

On booting up the new system, everything went fine till dselect. When I
tried to get dselect to mount my CD it failed to mount /dev/scd0 because
the kernel has no iso9660 support! When I tried to load it as a module, I
found that it wasn't there! lsmod shows no modules presently loaded. I
thought the kernel in 1.1 was going to be fully modularized with all the
possible drivers available? What happened? At this point, if I was stuck
with only a dos partition and the new installation, I would have to boot
up dos and copy the CD to HD (with mangled names) and try the HD install,
or copy netbase, netstd, and ppp packages to diskette, boot linux, and
install these packages so I could ftp the rest. We really need the CD
part to work, and the fact that it doesn't isn't the fault of dselect.

I poked around the new system just looking around and found /etc/fstab
almost completely unreadable. The format is ugly. The column headers and
the column entries do not line up at all!

At this point I was feeling a little claustraphobic(sp) and booted back
up in "Old Reliable".

My overall impressions are quite positive dispite the irregularities I
experienced. The user interface is wonderful! This is the closest thing I
have yet seen to a menuing system that inteligently presents the operator
with the most likely next step, with the two next-most-likely actions
only one step away, while leaving all available options easily
accessible. I have argued for this kind of approach within word
processors (I am always doing a job that requires three menu hits in
three widely different areas of the menu, over and over...) and other
application programs as a 'process wizard' feature.
Although I didn't get to do much with dselect, what I saw was
encouraging. As more work is done on the UI I look forward to seeing
dselect become a powerful package management tool.

I think that it is late enough in the game that we need to see some kind
of check list of outstanding issues that need addressing before the beta
release. That way we can focus on THE important issues and not waste time
on unimportant details.

BTW, I have not been able to track down the problem with octave and ELF
yet, and probably wouldn't get it fixed before beta release. This means
that the old a.out version (1.1.1-1) should probably go back in place of
1.1.1-2 so at least the package works. The upstream maintainer is working
on a new ELF version and is too busy to tell me how to fix the old. He
may beat me to the fix, at which point I will release the upgrade.

Parity on Dudes,

Dwarf