1.1 upgrade with dselect...

It sounds like others have had better luck with dselect than I have.

I have an R6 system with all the development software, network basics,
and a hand full of applications. No tex, no X, simple vanilla. The kernel
is 1.2.13 custom compiled with ELF support built in.

Dpkg installation goes ok. I have installed 1.1.5 for most of my testing
since that version handles the overwrite problems automatically.

I have tried dselect with both versions of hard disk installation
(mounted and unmounted) and gotten the same results. After setting up the
access method, updating the package list, selected "All packages", walked
through the depends windows (it's not always real clear here what is
correct action), and selected install, only to receive the "goodness me"
message about not finding libc5. This error occurs before any attempt has
been made to load ld.so (which should be the first package upgraded).
It appears that some of this confusion has come about because I added
newer packages to the archive without updating the package list (wasn't
that what I did as item two in dselect?). This raises an interesting
question. If I only download the base and the devel leaves of the
stable/binary tree, and don't update the packages file, I can't use them,
and if I do update the packages file, I can't use deselect on any of the
other packages in my archive. I clearly don't understand what's happening
here. At no point during the installation are the version numbers of the
packages being installed available to the installer. This makes
decissions about the proper choices requarding conflict resolution nearly
impossible at some points. For instance, there was no indication of which
version of libc5 dselect was trying to find!
I just went to master to get a packages file, and when I looked in the
base path (on the development tree) I saw dpkg-1.1.5elf.deb. This says,
"you are in the wrong place" since the 1.1.5 (a.out version) is the
currently advised upgrade version.
Well, maybe I'm wrong (duh). I find the same state of affairs on
ftp.i-connect.net.
So, are we doing beta testing on development (unstable) or what?

I have been working real hard to stay unconfused. I seem to be loosing...

Dwarf