1.1 upgrade problems continue

OK, I got the new package file and all of the base packages. Things went
much better this time, until...

Oh dear, I need to install or upgrade xlib but I don't see...

First of all what in the world does xlib have to do with the base packages?
Second, why didn't dselect notice this fact before in installed ld.so
thru ncurses3.0? Now the system is in a half installed state!

What seems to be going on here still has to do with the packages file. Is
there any way to update the packages file to reflect the packages you
actually have on the drive, rather than all the packages that were
available on the ftp site where you obtained them?

The above "Oh, dear" message tries, but fails, to give the version number
of the package it can't find.

There are two other packages in base that depend on packages not found in
base. Modconf depends on dialog, which may not be available on an R6
system. Libgdbm1 conflicts with the current R6 man package.

Does anyone know how to deal with the packages file?

TIA,

Dwarf