Re: dchanges, architecture component, parseable filenames

From: Rob Browning <osiris@cs.utexas.edu>
> Do you think python is flexible enough to be an effective replacement
> for perl?  I just started looking at the docs, and it looks quite
> impressive, but it's hard to get a feel for how easy/hard python might
> make some of the complicated grepping/regexp/file manipulation stuff
> that perl does well (even if in an ugly manner).  Also, is python
> comparable in speed?

Well, you can't really write a program that looks like AWK in Python,
you'd have to do it in a more procedural manner. I'm not sure this is
a bad thing. My impression was that Python was more readable because
there isn't More Than One Way To Do It as in Perl. Perl has addressed
some of the complaints in Perl 5, which supports O-O programming and
has better support for lexical scoping. My impression is that Python
would support large projects better, and that it was better designed.
You can't really claim that Perl was designed, it just grew.

This is all very vague, sorry.

	Thanks

"Excusing bad programming is a shooting offense, no matter _what_ the
circumstances". - Linus Torvalds.