Pine copyright

> From: Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU>

> Richard Stallman is lying.  He is spreading FUD.  I think that it is out of a
> meglomanial desire to control all free software according to his own
> definition of morality.
> If Debian wishes to join Stallman in intellectual dishonesty, that's their
> choice.  We can't tell Debian what to do.

Mark,

I am attempting to make an agreement with FSF about co-operation between
them and Debian, and am having a good deal of trouble with Richard. Thus, I
understand your complaint. We may be forced to break off our association with
them.

> 2) for-profit organizations must ask UW for permission before
> distributing Pine.  All this means is that they must recognize UW's
> rights.  They can not claim to have "taken over Pine" and then sue
> UW to stop Pine work at UW.  UW has never said "no", and never
> intends to say "no".

This is fine, but we would rather have it be automatic in some way.
The consequence of this is that there are two directories for Debian
software - one for software that it's automaticaly OK to distribute and
use, and one for everything else. At this point your software would
have to go in the "not automaticaly OK" directory, which has less
chance of reaching a CD distribution because the manufacturer must
verify the terms of every package in that directory individually.

We promote four license forms - besides the GPL we encourage
use of the BSD and Artistic licenses, and public domain. We're
not stuck on the GPL.

	Thanks

"Excusing bad programming is a shooting offense, no matter _what_ the