Re: FSF negociations

C> If I want the symbols I'll fetch the sources and recompile it
C> myself.

Especially since Debian has been specifically engineered to make this
easier.  At the very worst (and I don't recommend it) we could have 2
binary packages one stripped and one unstripped in the distribution.
This would avoid the user having to deal with compiling the package if
they just wanted to generate a core dump for a developer.

C> I like having the option to install the exact same source which my
C> binaries were made from, but would hate to be forced to install
C> source for stuff that I'm probably never going to want to
C> re-compile.

Yes, this seems really hard to justify.  If you know how to handle a
compilation, you can certainly figure out where to get the debian
source package.

C> Also, some Debian systems are installed as special purpose
C> machines...who wants X on a simple router/gateway, or on a news
C> server?  I certainly don't.  One of Linux' virtues is that it can
C> run on a 2MB 386-16sx if necessary...and that's certainly adequate
C> for a cheap router box.

Bingo.

C> Hideous, bloated, and certainly not essential.

Hey!  That's my baby you're maliging :>  Oh ok, perhaps It's true, but
I love it anyway.

C> On the other hand, a small fast line oriented editor (such as vi or
C> ed or even ms-dos' edlin) is really useful.  You can drive them
C> over the phone by telling the dummy...oops user...at the other end
C> exactly what keystrokes to push.

C> I'd like to see vi on the install disks instead of the so-called
C> easy editor.

Just make sure to keep ae for those of us who are line oriented
impared...

--
Rob