Resoultion to this obnoxious FSF debacle

I've been up half the night thinking about this FSF thing. I did a lot of
oscillation about it - which I'm sure pissed off a lot of people. I'm sure
by now everybody knows all too well how upset I've been by the situation.

I finally came to the conclusion that there is one fundamental problem with
the FSF and Debian "partnership":

FSF won't let us make our own decisions about the system.

None of these technical, personality, negociating, and money issues are
important compared to that one root issue. I don't feel the project
could succeed with that constraint. Thus, I politely asked RMS and
Peter Salus for an amicable split, with that given as the reason. Now,
if they came back and said "you developers decide what's right for the
project", we'd have the basis for working together. I'll tell you if
that happens.

There are a number of key developers who are fervent FSF supporters,
and Ian Murdock felt that the FSF connection was important. I really
wanted to satisfy those people, and I find I just can not do so. I hope
that by continuing to espouse and implement all of the major goals of
FSF we can hold on to most of those people, even if we do not have a
formal attachment with FSF. I suspect that we may lose one or more of
those people, and for that I am sorry.

My goal now is to get the 1.1 release out. Period. I'm not listening
to any more politics until that is done.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
--
"Excusing bad programming is a shooting offense, no matter _what_ the