The proposed name change / retargeting

I'm afraid I don't like the proposal to retarget ourselves in that
way, nor do I like the new proposed names.

What we need now is users.  One of our biggest advantages over all the
other distributions is our open development model - this is better
because it gives us access to a larger pool of developers and also a
political/marketing advantage in the Linux world.  Our problems lately
have been, mainly, a lack of experienced package maintainers.

IMO what we need to do is release 1.1, keep improving the system, and
push it hard.  We can take over Slackware's dominance in the market
quite easily, and a commercial distribution like Red Hat will find it
hard to take over on the net, which is very much oriented towards
volunteer non-profit projects.  The net is the heart of Linux.

Once we have a large and visible presence on the net we won't need to
persuade people to build on our system - it will be just the obvious
thing to do.

As people have said, `base' gives the impression that you have to have
something else.  We could indeed split Debian into two, but I don't
think that's particularly helpful - and indeed anyone doing a
value-added Debian would probably want much of what we provide, not
just the bare minimum.

Ian.