Re: dchanges, architecture component, parseable filenames

I> Yes, you have missed the point.  The proposal is not to change the
I> package names, but merely to use an encoding in _filenames_ where -
I> is represented by _.

OK, This answers my earlier question too.

As an aside, I have *never* understood why people are so tied up about
what separators are used in file names.  I personally think that we
should just pick something easy to parse (that doesn't make the name
of the package in the filenames different from the actual name of the
package) and get on with our lives.  What so terrible about separating
the sections by underscores?  perl-tk_b11.02_0.deb.

Easy to parse (/(.*)_(.*)_(.*).deb/), easy to read, and consistent.
The only logical objection I ever saw was that we'd have a transition
period where we had to change a bunch of old names, but it seems we've
committed to that anyway.

But I suppose this has been rehashed enough, and people have their
reasons...

--
Rob