Re: Addition to the list of virtual package names

Hi,

[I moved this to the private list since we should really hash it out
there]

>>"David" == David Engel <david@elo.ods.com> writes:

Manoj> I would also like to request the maintainer of libc5-dev to
Manoj> provide the virtual-package kernel-headers, since the newer
Manoj> versions of libc5-dev provide kernel-headers.

David> Yes, libc5-dev contains its own kernel headers, but IMO, it
David> should not be connected to any kernel-headers package.

	This not asking for any connection to any kernel packages
 (BTW, there is no longer any kernel-headers-X.X.XX package).
 kernel-headers is a _Virtual_ package, that refers to header file
 present in a Linux kernel distribution.  Packages may depend on it,
 and say they want kernel-headers.  Where they get it from is not
 relevant, that is the reason for virtual packages.  libc5-dev
 provides those files (/usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm). All I
 said was that the control file should mention this.

	If a package needs kernel headers, then users should not have
 to load kernel-source-X.X.XX do so, espescially if they already have
 libc5-dev that provides them.  But if the package (rightly) depends
 on the virtual package kernel-headers, then they shall be forced to
 do so unless libc5-dev provides that virtual package.

	In other words, if libc5-dev provides the header files, it
 should also provide the virtual package kernel-headers (no relation
 to kernel-source-X.X.XX implied).

	If libc5-dev decides not to provide the kernel headers (didn't
 we go through this before?), then I'll re-instate the kernel-headers
 package, and ask that the symlinks /usr/include/linux and
 /usr/include/asm not be present in libc5-dev so that the kernel
 packages can manage them.  (I really did think we had decided against
 this).

	manoj
--
After winning the decathlon, Jim Thorpe was told by the King of
Sweden, "You are the world's greatest athlete."  Thorpe replied,