Re: dpkg-flop distribution and directory changes

Erick Branderhorst writes ("dpkg-flop distribution and directory changes"):
> I'm wondering how many floppy formats should be supported (1220, 1440,
> perhaps 2880, and 720?). The scripts I wrote up till now can handle
> all of them.

I think 1220 and 1440 should be enough.  If someone else wants
something else then they can do it themselves; installing Debian from
smaller floppies isn't very practical for a full system, and 2.88Mb
floppies are rare).

> The approach is to read the `Packages.gz' file and sort the entries to
> their priority level and sections. The package files bigger than 450kb
> are split with `dpkg-split' into chunks of 450kb.

Fine.

> Floppy format wise directories are created (at the level of
> binary-i386) named: floppy-i386.1220, floppy-i386.1440,
> floppy-i386.2880. In these floppy directories section related
> directories are created representing disks with names like: admin-000,
> admin-001, base-000, base-001, etc etc. These disk representing
> directories contain symbolic links to the packages (if smaller than
> 450kb) or symbolic links to the packages parts (if bigger than
> 450kb). A `ls -lL' is included as well (don't know if this is enough).

Would it perhaps be a good idea, while we're at this, to remove a
layer of the directory structure under msdos-* ?  Ie, to have all the
.deb files in a big directory so that you can do `mget *'.

> Currently unstable/floppy-i386.1440 contains approx 103 directories.
>
> A few (important) things are still missing:
>
> - A way to install from floppy (or is this in dselect?).

Yes, it is.  Take a look at /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/floppy and feel free
to send me patches.

> - The packages bigger than 450kb aren't available from the archive
> yet. There was some discussion a few months ago. A few arguments were
> made as pros and cons if packages should be splitted only or not.

Packages will be split on the archive site.  Before we can do this the
cron job that scans the packages nightly to make the Packages file
needs to be made to understand split packages.

> A side effect of providing a floppy oriented distribution is that the
> directory where binary-i386 (and family) reside is becoming bigger and
> bigger. To avoid cluttering up and to provide clearness I suggest that
> this structure is changed. Especially with more and more architectures
> being provided this will be required any way. I'm sorry for another
> rearrangement of the archive but I'm afraid this will required anyway,
> so please discuss this before we create a working copy to prepare the
> 1.2 release.

Do we really need to add an extra subhierarchy ?  10 or 20 directories
isn't really too many, and making things deep can make things very
hard to find.

Ian.