Re: ftp.debian.org changes

Hi bruce@Pixar.com;  On 17-May-96 you wrote:
> > > It's much much friendlier for the fsp site, because it only uses 1
> > process for all clients
>
> Just as a point of discussion, that's do-able for the FTP server as well,
> using select and non-blocking I/O. I've thought about writing such a thing.
> One interesting thing about it is that with one process, you'd have a handle
> on the overall bandwidth of the FTP server, and could implement a "choke"
> scheme to limit bandwidth. For example, you could tell it to start adding
> delays before each write to a remote client when bandwidth out of the
> server reached a preset amount of MB/minute. This could be used to assure
> that the server would not saturate the local T1 line, etc.
>
> 	Thanks
>
> 	Bruce

Brings memories of a M$ seminar 9expensive!) on NT service design (service
is what we mortals call daemon).  Same discussion exactly.

Their limit is 10-20 processes to saturation.  Your design will only be good
for 1000 connections acording to M$.

Amusing though :-)

Sincerely Yours,           (Sent on 05/17/96, 16:10:28 by XF-Mail)

Simon Shapiro              i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
Director of Technology     13455 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140 Beaverton OR 97008
Shimon@i-Connect.Net       Voice:  503.677.2900, Emergency: 503.441.1681