Re: URGENT!

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Matthew Bailey wrote:

> Fine no problem please continue to look for a new site...
>
> On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> > I suggest we alias debian.microworld.net as ftp.debian.org for now,
> > and move all of the mirror accounts of ftp.debian.org there, and
> > keep the anonymous limit as low as you like (5 is fine) as long as it
> > says who the mirrors are.

One of my concerns on this is how much bandwidth with both web and ftp
running from MicroWorld, is going to be consumed?  Please keep in mind
that MicroWorld is only connected via a Frame Relay Partial T1 (448K)
internet connection.  (8 56K channels).  If in the past both web and ftp
have been transfering equiv. to 80% of two T1's even with a scale down
how is this going to fit going through a partial T1?  If I remember
correctly from the last time that I looked at web stats, (Mar 15 to Apr
2) the average Daily transmission was 20,351,402 (19.4M).  Now this was
before any release information was sent to the public and since then I
would think that the stats of only increased.  I've probably gone off the
"deep end" here but I'm thinking of MicroWorld's feed and what their
customer's might say about all of a sudden a slow down in net access.  I
do hope that the owner(s) have been notified to make sure it is alright
and they can notify the other employees involved.

David

David Brinks - Assist Sys Admin.   brinks@cps.cmich.edu
422 Pearce Hall                    Mail maintainer of:  archive, ftpadmin
Computer Science Department           www, and sometimes other accounts
Central Michigan University           used for admin purposes.
---All opinions, and possibly some of the facts, are strictly of my own.----