Re: archive changes for release

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I think we're going to have to hold off while mirror sites get their act
> together about "buzz", or those symbolic links will point nowhere.
> Go look at some of the mirrors :-( . I'm going to have to nudge system
> admins and so on. And unfortunately they are going to have to have space
> for two entire releases, as I imagine most packages will change - if only
> to change the package file name in the debian.rules .

Change the package file name in the debian.rules?  That isn't
necessary.  dinstall runs dpkg-name on the filename as it's being
installed.  It also ignores the filename for the .deb, instead
gathering all its information from dpkg --fields.

We can justify requiring about a gig to store the archive if there are
actually that many unique files.  As it stands now, 50% of the archive
is a duplication.  I'm just afraid mirrors will drop us because of our
space requirements.

This mirroring is a bad business.  Whatever we do, it'll be a mess on
the mirrors.  I think it's better to get our house in order before
pestering the mirror admins.  It's probable that the mirrors you're
referring to didn't follow your instructions.  They're just mirroring
the buzz dir, but it's taking a couple of days.

That's why I think it's better to just make the entire change tonight.
We don't have the new names in /buzz, we can just have the slinks in
/foo be correct.  By Monday, the mirrors will have caught up.  Till
then, they will be a little disorganized.  Let's get through it
quickly, so the mirrors won't waste time duplicating the old
structure.  It won't be a problem again.

Guy