Re: GNU reconciliation

> in Debian. He has accepted the participation-not-control part.

Accepted? Gee, how generous of him. :-)

> currently working on a change to the GNU coding standards so that GNU ...
> encourage the HJ-GNU libc merge and other Linux-related changes to GNU
> tools ...

Hmm, I am glad we can work together with regard to improvements in the
quality of both FSF and Debian (or other Linux projects).  Can you
tell us how important you think this (added?) cooperation is to the
Linux community?  I certainly understand wanting to heal the rifts
that seem to spring up between the two communities, but, out of
ignorance of the subjects, I don't have any clear idea of the
technical benfits the above will have.  Would these things never have
happned if we kept our name Debian Linux?

> [RS will] be more careful about what he says to the Linux community.
> What did I have to agree to? I said we'd call the system "Debian
> GNU/Linux" again.

Hmmm.  I am of two minds.  I want to express the concept of free
software, and think the GPL does that fairly well.  However, I wonder
how the XFree, BSD, Knuthites, etc. will fell about us making
statements on one hand about how they all contributed and we can't
call ourselves GNU without mentioning them, and then on the other
hand, going back to putting GNU in the name. (Whew, what a run-on!)  I
mean, the copyrights on XFree and TeX are good, just not as eloquent
as the GPL (I never really read BSD standard license).

I guess RS sort of polarized my feelings regarding the terms GNU and
Free Software.  He has made me think of GNU as "FSF, controlled by RS,
we will go ahead and rename your project to whatever the **** we
want."  This is unfortunate.  Should we just make a statement in our
manifesto that GNU express freedom of software, and _that_ is the
ideal we are working for?  We need to express thanks to all
contributers, not just FSF ones.  That doesn't necessarily have to be
in the title -- but GNU in there might cause some friction.

Do you get the idea of what I am talking about?  It seems kinda
muddled when I look back at it... :(

Jim