Re: GNU reconciliation

From: "James A. Robinson" <jimr@simons-rock.edu>
> Hmm, I am glad we can work together with regard to improvements in the
> quality of both FSF and Debian (or other Linux projects).  Can you
> tell us how important you think this (added?) cooperation is to the
> Linux community?

I think it's important to bring FSF into the fold from the standpoint of
getting everyone working together for one goal instead of fighting.
I have no idea if the near-term technical benefits will be significant or
not, but it's important for the long term. Now, it's about time for me to
send an olive branch to Patrick Volkerdering. Any hints regarding how I
should do that?

> Hmmm.  I am of two minds.  I want to express the concept of free
> software, and think the GPL does that fairly well.  However, I wonder
> how the XFree, BSD, Knuthites, etc. will fell about us making
> statements on one hand about how they all contributed and we can't
> call ourselves GNU without mentioning them, and then on the other
> hand, going back to putting GNU in the name. (Whew, what a run-on!)

They did not complain before. I think they will be able to live with it.

> I guess RS sort of polarized my feelings regarding the terms GNU and
> Free Software.  He has made me think of GNU as "FSF, controlled by RS,
> we will go ahead and rename your project to whatever the **** we
> want."

One of the benefits of having an association is that I get to bend his
ear about how he talks to the Linux community.

I think your major concern is that you sympathize with the original goals
of FSF, but RMS makes you uncomfortable. I think having him work with us
(now that he knows we can get along without him, and thus respects us a
bit more) will improve the situation.

	Thanks

                       Re-Elect Clinton/Gore '96

Bruce Perens AB6YM          Bruce@Pixar.com            http://www.hams.com/