Re: Alert on dip

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> I recieved the following from a friend of mine who knows of my interest in
> Linux. Debian provides dip in the netstd package which does not indicate
> the version of dip that it delivers. Are we up to date enough on this
> issue or do we deliver vulnerable software?

[snip]

> III. Solution

[snip]

>      B.  Install a new version of dip.
>          If you need the functionality that dip provides, retrieve and install
>          the following version of the source code for dip, which fixes this
>          vulnerability. dip is available from
>
> ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Network/serial/dip/dip337o-uri.tgz
> ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Network/serial/dip/dip337o-uri.tgz.sig
>
>          MD5   (dip337o-uri.tgz) = 45fc2a9abbcb3892648933cadf7ba090
>          SHash (dip337o-uri.tgz) = 6e3848b9b5f9d5b308bbac104eaf858be4dc51dc

sysadmin@chloe:[~] #dip -v
DIP: Dialup IP Protocol Driver version 3.3.7o-uri (8 Feb 96)
Written by Fred N. van Kempen, MicroWalt Corporation.
[snip]
sysadmin@chloe:[~] #dpkg -s netstd
Package: netstd
Section: net
Maintainer: Peter Tobias <tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de>
Version: 2.05-1
Depends: netbase (>= 2.00), libc5 (>= 5.2.18-6), ncurses3.0, cpp,
libreadline2
Suggests: bind, wu-ftpd, mail-transport-agent
[snip]
sysadmin@chloe:[~] #ssh master "ls ~ftp/debian/buzz-fixed/binary/net/netstd*"
netstd_2.05-1.deb@

So... Looks like we're covered.