Re: packages with nasty names

On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> There's a guy who wants to upload something called "BitchX". It's a patched
> IRC client. Should I make him change the name?

My personal feeling about words and their meanings would make me say NO!

However, most of the rest of the world takes offense at a small set of
particular ascii characters for some hyphenated reason.

If this product is already "known" by this name over a reasonably broad
user base, it probably would be counter productive:

gripeX (the client formerly known as BitchX)

If this is a relatively unknown product (maybe because of the name) making
it's entry into the *nix world through the Debian distribution, then it
would probably be better if we were anal retentive enough to ask for a
name change.

(Hell, I don't understand people's neurotic attachment to clothing
either so, go figure.)

Luck,

Dwarf