message with ethnic comment

>From waterf.org!clameter Thu Oct 10 19:38:10 1996
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 19:37:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org>
To: bruce@pixar.com
Subject: Boot etc.

I wonder why you are

1. Assuming that I am working on anything. All we talked about is hot air
so far. Dont assume constantly that I am doing something subversive here.
It is kind of strange that some ethnic groups cannot speculate about
things without getting

2. Want to make the system hard to use for users. The perspective to adopt
is not that of an experienced debian person but that of a novice user who
tries to get debian to run the first time. The current installation system
is quite a challenge even for the experienced. Most people somehow install
the base and then are totally at a loss because they think that they
already have installed something. But its not doing anything.

3. My "minimalism" is a way to make things easy for the novice user and
also easy for the debian project. There would be no need anymore to
generate a base system nor to maintain it. Without this minimalism you are
stuck at some point or the other with getting back to disks and other
troublesome of handling the base system.

How about for a change doing something on your part:

1. Fix up the boot-floppies so that they can use my combined boot mkrboot
package which is fairly simple to do using lilo and minix.

2. Fix up the root system so that there is some way of loading the base
system across the net / cd / harddisk partition

That would be a step in the right direction and really simple. That is
what I had planned to do. Its probably easier for you to do since I am not
very familiar with the old packaging style.

Then we can see what trouble we will run into with the one disk boot
scheme.

Then try to think about the next step eliminating the one remaining boot
floppy by loadlin.

I dont think you are seeing what is coming to you.

And please get the
project organized somehow that there is progress. Me having to wait 3
months for an static userid is really bad if you want to keep up with the
other distributions. I think debian has some very promising
characteristics in the packaging scheme and the contributions possible.
But if you continue to drag the project on like that we can probably throw
it all away someday. RedHat + Slackware already have the support.

I really dont care who does the bootdisks. Just get it done somehow.
Seeing it being neglected and having to stand by things rotting is really
bad.

{}  Consulting available for Networking / Unix / Crossplatform integration    {}
{}  Snail Mail:   FTS Box 466, 135 N.Oakland Ave, Pasadena, CA 91182          {}
PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5
--
Bruce Perens, Pixar Animation Studios
*** "Toy Story" video tape in U.S. stores October 30 ***