Policy on kernel modules?

I just discovered that the Debian Policy Manual says nothing about the kernel
and kernel modules.  I have also discovered that the kernel is built without
CONFIG_MODVERSION and CONFIG_UMISC, thus limiting what modules may be used.
Several packages circumvent that restriction by pushing their modules
explicitly and unconditionally.  That behaviour is dangerous.

Thus i am proposing that the following rules should be put in the manual:

1.) Each kernel distributed as Debian module must have the following
    configuration options enabled:
    - CONFIG_MODULES
    - CONFIG_MODVERSIONS
    - CONFIG_KERNELD
    - CONFIG_UMISC

2.) Each package suppling additional kernel modules must have its modules
    built with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS enabled.

3.) The module directory path MUST NOT contain any kernel version number.

4.) The moudule utilites MUST reject all modules not following the
    guidelines above.

This should solve several problems we are experiencing right now with
modules not being loadable by the distributed kernel(s).
In addition it ensures that only those modules matching the kernel-api
are loaded into the kernel.
And last but not least it allows the Debian user to use commercial
third-party modules which will most likely need CONFIG_MODVERSIONS (also
i know no commercially distributed kernel modules).

I have already filed bug-reports for all packages involved.  Depending on
the outcome of this discussion they should be closed or approriate action
should be taken to fix the packages.

Comments?
  Dominik Kubla