Re: Policy on kernel modules?

On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Please check out whether CONFIG_MODVERSIONS actually _helps_ and get
> back to us. In general, it made it impossible to load modules in the past!

I've been using modularized kernels with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS enabled since
1.3.8x and my modules load just fine.

I also can insmod modules from 2.0.21 into my 2.0.22 kernel without any
problems. (floppy.o, xiafs.o, binfmt_aout.o).

This is not quite what's I'd call an extensive test, but it does look like
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS works just fine.

> How about parallel modules directories - one for modules that come from the
> kernel package and have kernel version numbers
> (and are symlinked to /usr/lib/modules/current), and one for modules from
> other sources that do not have a kernel version number. This would
> facilitate keeping multiple kernel versions on your system without
> overwriting older modules - an important goal.

Indeed! Let's please keep the two separate. The arrangement you describe
looks just fine.

   Christian