Re: Policy on kernel modules?

Christoph Lameter writes:
-> By default they seem to compile for CONFIG_MODVERSIONS off. I'd rather
-> avoid messing with those for 2.0.X. Can we settle on introducing
-> CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y (assuming that the early problems are fixed) when we
-> introduce 2.1.X kernels?
->
-> The switch to 2.1.X will break a lot of modules and since we have to redo
-> the modules at that point I think it would be sensible to take that point
-> to switch to CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y. By that time I hope that the new
-> functionality of the dosemu insmod, rmmod is in the standard versions of
-> insmod and rmmod and we have something consistent to go with.

It's probably not a good idea to provide 2.1.x kernels, at least not
in the stable tree.  Userland packages should be updated to support
both 2.1.x and 2.0.x if feasable, and I don't see any reason not to
provide an unstable kernel package if it's put in experimental.
However, the development series of kernels change too rapidly and too
many things tend to break along the way.  That would cause a headache.

As far as the MODVERSIONS thing goes, I think it's a good idea. I
haven't tried it out extensively, but I believe it should work well
for the 'stable' kernel series (2.0.x, 2.2.x, etc). The development
series tends to change internals more drastically, invalidating the
MODVERSIONS modules more often, but the stable series should provide a
stable API for add-on modules.

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/