Re: Why don't we publish a "Roadmap for Debian/Linux"

> I think kernel 2.1 should be ignored for /at least/ 9 months (Debian
> 1.5, maybe).  2.1 is too risky for a distribution and I need stability
> on my clients' machines.

OK. What you're saying is: don't make Debian depend on a 2.1 kernel.
I second this.

However, your statement also says
> When 2.1 development winds down, we should start to follow it again

I think that we should follow it in the following manner:
- every maintainer who wants to run 2.1 should do so (as long as it
  doesn't interfere with building packages for 2.0 users)
- changes necessary when running 2.1 kernels should be incorporated
  into our packages (also, as long as they don't break with 2.0).

> glibc5, libc6 also should wait until adopted and considered stable by
> the developer community before risking our novices and clients.

I'm not familiar with a "glibc5". AFAIK, there's linux libc5 (HJ & co.)
and there's glibc (which is to be / calls itself libc6).

We should not start building packages with libc6 yet. However, I suspect
that the transition to glibc will be as problematic as the a.out->ELF
one: all kinds of packages requiring many minor (and some major) changes.

We should have a libc6 package for developer's use. Like in the a.out->ELF
transition, I'm hoping for a libc6 package in a separate tree under
/usr (/usr/i486-linux-glibc/{bin,lib,include}), with appropriate wrapper
scripts (/usr/i486-linux-glibc/bin/{gcc,ld,...}) so that a developer can
prepare his packages for use with libc6 (simply compile with
/usr/i486-linux-glibc/bin in PATH before /usr/bin).

Ray
--
Cyberspace, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go